Source:The Des Moines Register
Internet, Internet, on the web, which state is the American-est of them all?
Iowa, of course.
A new totally unscientific study by Estately declared lil' ol' us to be the most American of all the 50 states.
Iowa is "where astronauts are born, and where the actual baseball field in the movie 'Field of Dreams' is located," the Estately post read. "It produces the most bacon of any state, and Iowa corn farmers fuel our country's obesity epidemic with sweet, sweet corn syrup."
Estately rated states based on eight factors:
- Bald eagles per square mile
- Olympic gold medals won per capita
- Native astronauts per capita
- Fast food restaurants per capita
- Major League Baseball players per capita
- Percentage of homes with firearms
- Percentage of Facebook users liking the United States of America
- Google searches for the words "Bin Laden dead."
Did we already say that this was unscientific?
Iowa didn't come in first in any of the categories above, but in whatever way Estately averaged the rankings...yada, yada, yada...we won.
Iowa did come in third in number of native astronauts per capita and sixth in Olympic gold medals, so that's cool.
Also, we won!
"Instead of saying 'It's as American as apple pie,' " the blog wrote, "we should be saying 'It's as American as Iowa.'"
Yes. Yes, you should.